Surely you've heard that antioxidants prevent aging, but do you really know what an antioxidant is and what it's for? If not, well you're in the right place to learn all about them.
Antioxidants are molecules that are responsible for slowing or preventing other molecules from oxidizing. When we talk about their effect on our skin, empathize is on their main function to protect our skin against damage caused by free radicals, the sun's rays, and pollution.
When the skin is young it has a large number of antioxidants that protect us in a natural way, but as time goes by the skin starts producing less due to damage from external factors which ultimately means it’s less protected. There are many studies that suggest antioxidants slow down the aging process produced by free radicals, however in general cutaneous aging is complex, as genetic, hormonal and environmental factors also intervene which too can alter the natural state of the skin
The importance of antioxidants role for our skin is that they defend us from the external factors that can harm our skin. It is necessary that our skin is in good enough condition so that the sun and pollution affect us as little as possible.
If we don’t get sufficient antioxidant protection our skin will be prone to damage causing a loss of elastin and collagen (elasticity) due to the lack of protection in the skin. In short, our skin will lose its healthy appearance and look older. Lack of antioxidant protection is due to our body not producing enough because we do not eat enough fruits and vegetables or to the fact we do not apply an adequate treatment.
If you have doubts about what free radicals and oxidative stress are, let us briefly explain it:
Simply put, although little technical, free radicals are molecules that have an unpaired electron which means it has a great capacity for reaction. When a free radical reacts with a stable molecule, the latter can itself turn into a free radical, which causes a chain reaction.
Oxidative stress, on the other hand, is a process that has as a consequence that the cells degrade or deteriorate due to the action of free radicals. To defend itself, our body uses antioxidants to counteract free radicals.
Some of the benefits that are investigated on Antioxidants indicate that antioxidants may protect us from:
•Damage caused by the sun
•Tobacco and alcohol
Now that we have explained the work done by antioxidants, we can offer you some of our Active Antioxidant Ingredients available in our Antioxidant range which includes treatments that prevent the visible signs of aging:
• Active Vitamin E: In addition to preventing the signs of aging, it protects the skin against the sun's rays both caring for and calming the skin.
• Active Coenzyme Q10: Helps soften fine lines.
• Active Resveratrol: the main action of the antioxidant, is adds antiseptic properties against bacteria and fungi. It also reinforces sun protection.
• Active Vitamin C: Illuminates the skin, reduces blemishes and unifies tone. It also restores the aging appearance of the skin and helps the natural production of collagen. It also improves the hydration and elasticity of our skin.
You’re not sure what active ingredients to add to your antioxidant active? That will all depend on your goals. For example:
• If you also want to add an anti-aging treatment: Active Vitamin C + Active Retinol (Antiage Range)
• If you want to complement with an active ingredient against Acne: Active Resveratrol + Active Salicylic Acid (Anti-imperfections range)
• If you have sensitive skin, you could add aloe vera from: Active Vitamin E + Active Aloe Vera (Protection and Care Range)
The active ingredients of the Antioxidant range are the most concentrated formulas, but there are also antioxidants present in other active ingredients in the moisturizing such as Argan Oil.
If you want to help your skin prevent aging with antioxidants, don’t hesitate to pinch #AdaptiveSkincare